The Sprague Project
-- A Genealogical Database of Over 465,000 Individuals --
- Celebrating our twenty-third year on the Internet -

=======> Updated on 23 July 2020

Richard E. (Dick) Weber, Developer
Albert Arnold Sprague, IV, Webmaster

The Sprague Mill, Upwey, England
Print Bookmark

Edward Spragg

Male Abt 1616 - 1685  (~ 69 years)


Generations:      Standard    |    Vertical    |    Compact    |    Box    |    Text    |    Ahnentafel    |    Fan Chart    |    Media

Less detail
Generation: 1

  1. 1.  Edward Spragg was born about 1616 in England; died in 1685 in Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY, USA.

    Other Events:

    • AFN: TP3F-MN

    Notes:

    "Spragg Family: New York Line, Pennsylvania Line & IndianaLine", by Dale Wilken, page 1.     Edward Spragg emigrated fromEngland about 1640, might have moved first to New Haven, CT.

    From Hal R. Spragg, correspondent.     The following was taken from theWorld Family Tree Maker: CD Vol. #3, Tree # 6472."The Spraggs left Holland for England, probably in thereign of Elizabeth I, of England.  They came toAmerica with the Puritans, stopping to two places (lastbeing Stamford, Connecticut Colony), before the group madea treaty with the Indians on Long Island, New YorkColony.  Spraggs are in a set of books on earlyHempstead history and in St. George Church records. (Bothresources are in the L.D.S. library at Salt Lake City, UT.)
    "Early Spraggs of Hempstead, Long Island", by John R.Sprague III, J.D., published in "The Genealogist", Spring,1998, pages 3-42 (note, the reader is left to review theoriginal manuscript for references cited in AttorneySprague's work.).     The Spragg family of Hempstead,New York, has been studied by several genealogists. Thefirst was William A. Eardeley (1870-1935) of New York, whopracticed during the first third of the presentcentury.  Among his microfilmed manuscripts at theBrooklyn (formerly Long Island) Historical Society,Brooklyn, New York, is an undated set of notes on theSpragg family of Long lsland.     Arthur Soper Wardwell (1883-1970),F.A.S.G., a Long Island genealogist active during the firsthalf of this century, also studied the Spraggs. In 1939Wardwell was retained by Warren Vincent Sprague, M.D., ofChauncey, Ohio, to gather information about the Long IslandSpraggs for an addendum to Sprague's book, Sprague Familiesin America, published twenty-six years before. To informWardwell of the current status of his work, Dr. Spraguesent him the data he had already gathered. Although thatinformation is not in the files at the Brooklyn HistoricalSociety, the various letters from Dr. Sprague preservedthere indicate that lie had obtained some of it fromdescendants.     In 1973 the present writerreceived from Dr. Sprague's son, Lindley V. Sprague, M.D.,a copy of his father's notes, undoubtedly the material thathad been sent to Wardwell. The identity of the material isconfirmed by references in these notes to "MargaretGoetneau," who Dr. Sprague, tile father, erroneouslybelieved was the wife of Edward Spragg (Ediward3, John2,Edward1). Items in the Wardwell-Sprague correspondencerefer to the same issue. The notes he sent to Wardwellindicate that Dr. Sprague used as sources family recordspreserved by descendants, abstracts of wills published bythe New-York Historical Society, records of St. George'sEpiscopal Church at Hempstead, and his own Sprague Familiesin America. Wardwell's research on the Spragg family ispreserved at the Brooklyn Historical Society.     Neither Eardeley's nor Wardwell'sSpragg manuscript is written in dissertation form; theyboth consist of notes on small pieces of paper. Incommenting on these notes it has sometimes been necessaryto interpret the intent of the compilers; for example, whywas a question mark placed in some particular place, or whywas an entry crossed out?The third person to study the Spraggs was the HempsteadTown Historian, George Combes, who, before his death in1941, collected voluminous notes on the town's first 100settlers." His papers include a short essay On the earlySpragg family,' which appears to be based almostexclusively on his analysis of Hempstead town records andthe census taken there in 1698.     In addition to these threemanuscript sources, a   number of deeds wereutilized in the present investigation. All deeds wereexamined dated before 1808 in the town records, in which aSpragg was the grantor or grantee, mentioned as a witness,or otherwise referred to in the body of the document. Also,a search of the Queens County deeds for the period 1684 to1808 was made at the Queens County Clerk's office inJamaica, New York. The only Spragg deeds found there weretwo involving "John Spragge of London," the ColonialSecretary, who was not related to the Hempstead Spraggs.One relevant non-Spragg deed, which involves the Embreefamily, is discussed subsequently under Edward2Spragg.  We begin our analysis of the Long IslandSpraggs with the founding of Hempstead. The colony'sbeginnings are described by Nathaniel S. Prime in hisHistory of Long Island-. "(T]he first settlers (ofHempstead) were English immigrants, who had temporarilyresided at different places in New England, and last atStamford, Connecticut. The colony, founded about 1644, hadsixty landowners in 1647; by 1685 their number had grown to180. Since the Spraggs were not among the landowners of1647 and the surviving Hempstead town records do not beginuntil about 1654, it is not possible to say exactly whenthe Spraggs arrived.     The name Spragg first occurs inthe town records in 1657, when a list of cattle ownersshows that Edward Spragg was the cattle keeper. It seemslikely that Edward came with his wife and family to theHempstead area not long before 1657, either fromConnecticut or directly from England. But nothing has beenfound to confirm this hypothesis other than information ina Bible once in the possession of Mrs. George M. Stall ofMaplewood, New Jersey. Written in this Bible is a comment:"Edward Sprague son of Moses Sprague, emigrated fromEngland near the close of the 16th century (sic] andmarried Margaret Gritman. Based upon the 1836 publicationdate and internal evidence, as well as the spelling,Spragie, the Bible appears to be the family record ofValentine Sprague (born 1800), son of Jacob Sprague (John6,Edward5-4-3, John2, Edward1). A careful reading shows thatan earlier family record is imbedded within thecontemporary entries. The lack of specificity about datesfor the first two generations, as compared with the precisedates found in the third generation, indicates that theinformation in this Bible may have come from a recordstarted by Valentine's grandfather, John6 Spragg. If so,the compiler of the John Spragg record would have beenreciting family traditions that were at the time about 150years old, assuming, of course, that the writer intendedseventeenth, not sixteenth, century for the immigration.Although that date is plainly misstated, there is no reasonto doubt the claim that the family originated in England.     Edward Spragg's parents are notknown, though his father may have been Moses Spragg, asstated in the Valentine Sprague Bible. It is also possible,however, that the name Moses was transposed from the Embreefamily, who apparently were related to the Spraggs bymarriage (see no. 2). The name appears among the Embrees,and possibly in the family of Thomass Spragg (Ediward4-3,John2, Edward1), who immigrated to New Brunswick, Canada,after the American Revolution. Further work is needed toprove or disprove the comment in Valentine Sprague's Bibleabout the parentage of Edward1 Spragg.     A review of the sixteen entries inthe early Hempstead town records in which an Edward Spraggeither signed his name or placed his mark shows that fourmen of that name resided there in the seventeenth century.The oldest, Edward1 Spragg, who can be distinguished by hissignature, was aged about 61 years" in July 1677, when hetestified about the town's pur- chase of lands from theIndians "about one an[d] twenty yeares ago [or about1656]". The other three Edwards signed documents with theirrespective marks. One, presumably Edward2, used anembellished letter E. Another, an apparent grandson ofEdward1, used a combination ES or SE, while yet anotherapparent grandson used the letter O.     Edward' Spragg's house was located"in ye South woods" on the west side of Hicks Neck path,not far from Linington's mill in what was then NewNetherland and, later, Queens County, New York.'s He was akeeper of the cattle "in the neck," a job he seems to haveundertaken with his son Edward shortly after their arrivalin the Colony.     According to Henry Onderdonk,"[t]he abundant grass on the (Hempstead] plains doubtlessturned the attention of the early settlers to the raisingof stock, but ... there were few or no fences; so aherdsman was hired by the town to take care of the cattlefrom the 11th of May till the 23d of October, when theIndian harvest would be wholly taken in and housed." "Stock raising ... was carried on in a Mediaeval fashionwith some aspects of the later western cattle country." In1657 the Hempstead herd consisted of 120 head, for which anEdward Spragg, presumably Edward1 Spragg, was thekeeper.  In 1658 the herd was divided and Edward tookresponsibility for the cattle on the west side of the town.     Edward' Spragg's first recordedcontract with the town for cattle keeping probably was in1658.  There was a contract with an Edward Spragg theprevious year, but, based on the mark E rather than asignature, it appears to have been an agreement between thetown and Edward's son, Edward2 Spragg.  Edward1Spragg's last herding contract with the town was in 1663.     On 10 May 1656, according toOnderdonk, an Edward Spragg, together with "Robt Jackson,Thos Ireland and Thos Carle," petitioned for a patent forthe town of Jamaica, presumably a misnomer for Hempstead.While there is no proof of the identity of the Spraggpetitioner, the early date suggests that he was Edward1. Itwas about that year, as Edward1 testified later, that hehad witnessed the town of Hempstead's purchase of land fromthe Indians.  Edward's roles as petitioner and witnessboth attest to his standing in the community.     Records do not reveal EdwardSpragg's religious inclinations or whether he was even amember of the church. However, since the original Hempsteadcolony appears to have required of its members "a generalattendance (at] public worship" and the only congregationthere at that time was Presbyterian or Independent, it islikely that he and his family were participat- ing membersof the town's Presbyterian congregation.     The Spraggs' land transactions arefound in the town records. The early inhabitants ofHempstead obtained land by deed from the.town, from othersettlers, or simply by usurpation. An Edward Spragg isrecorded about 1658 as having been allotted six taxableacres, but it is not known when he actually obtained thatproperty. The first recorded grant from the town to anEdward Spragg is on 14 March 1659:  there is granted unto Edward Sprag one hollowconteyning one and an half Accre upon the same conditions[and with others) he is to secure w'th A sufficient fenceand is to pocess it seaven yeares, after ye date hereofpaying yearly 18d the Accre with tythes the w'ch is to be
    paid at Hempsteade.     Cornbes noted that the sonEdward's records "are difficult or impossible to separatefrom those of his father after the son comes of age.Presumably the above references are to Edward1 Spragg, notEdward2, but we cannot be sure since the son would havebecome of age about that time.     While the matter is not entirelyresolved-the clerks distinguished neither of the twoEdwards as "Senior" or "Junior"-some clarity may beachieved since the father wrote his name and the son usedonly an embellished E. Thus it can be said with someconfidence that it was Edward1 who entered into the herdingcontracts in 1658 and 1663, and that it was he who gave thedeposition in 1677 mentioned above. However, some otherrecords are more difficult to differentiate between fatherand son. For example, the town gave either Edward1 or hisson of that name twenty-two acres in 1665 and one or theother of them six acres of meadow in 1669. In 1677 one ofthem received an additional thirty acres, said to be northof John Champion's lot. On 20 June 1679 an Edward Spraggwas given "Liberety to tacke up fifty acors."     An argument can be made that therecorded land transfers before 1673 probably refer toEdward1. A list of inhabitants of Hempstead of that yearshows only one Edward Spragg, under a Dutch variant,"Edward Spry," thus indicating that in 1673 Edward1 and hischildren probably were all living together. If in factEdward2 was residing with his father, he may not have ownedland before 1673.     In 1673, one John Row becameindebted to Edward1, or his son, who, when Row failed topay, attached Row's musket and brought suit in the towncourt. The constable and overseers heard the action on 2April 1673; they found for Spragg, who was awarded themusket.     Although Edward1 Spragg is listedin early records as the town's cattle keeper, he probablyalso operated a farm during that period. He owned one cow"at the neck" in 1658, the year in which he received theassignment of "burning the neck." Most likely he graduallybuilt up his estate, accumulating real and personalproperty as the years passed. By 1669, when collectivecattle keeping had become a discontinued practice, Edwardpresumably had fully concentrated his efforts on farming.     On 2 October 1676 thirty-eight menfrom Hempstead, including Edward Spragg who signed hisname, no doubt Edward1, subscribed to a compact thateventually lead to their indictment for rioting." Thecompact expressed their objection to John Comell'ssettlement at "the Cowe Neck" on land that had been grantedto him directly by Governor Andros, but which the Town hadplanned to divide among its inhabitants.  Two weekslater, on 16October 1676, a band of about twenty men, again includingEdward Spragg, confronted Cornell and destroyed hishomestead.  As a result of these actions the compactsigners were indicted and charged with rioting. Theringleaders were taken to New York City, tried, and givenvarious sentences. The remaining men, including Spragg,were referred to the Court of Sessions at Jamaica for trialbut records of such, if actually conducted, have not beenfound.     No direct evidence exists forEdward1 Spragg's children, but it is possible to indirectlyidentify some of them from the extant records. No doubt oneson is the second Edward, already mentioned, who firstappears in the Hempstead town records in 1657 and signeddocuments with a Mark E. He last appears in the townrecords in 1692, when, with consent of his wife Mary, heconveyed a one-half interest in land to Benjamin Carmen.According to the printed town records, a "Wm Spragg" gavemoney toward the town's patent, presumably in 1684 or 1685,though the date is not given. Both Combes and Wardwellconclude that he was a son of Edward1 .  Eardeley doesnot mention William, although his analysis of the familybegins with the second generation.     A John Spragg first appears in thetown records on 24 May 1682, when, as "John Spreag," hecontributed 10s. for Jeremy Hubard's ministry. Presumablybased upon such entries, both Combes and Wardwell concludedthat Edward and William were sons of Edward' Spragg, andCombes proposed a third son, John.     Separate indirect evidence formembers of Edward1 Spragg's family is found in the 1698Hempstead census, which lists two clusters of Spraggs asapparent families, and separately lists two unattachedSpraggs. The first cluster consists of the names Mary,John, Thomas, and Richard Spragg; the second consists ofthe names Edward, Abigail, Sarah, Jacob, and Edward Spragg.A Joseph Spragg is separately listed in the Great Necklocality, and a Hannah Spragg also appears to be residingapart from the rest.     Based on these data, Combes setsforth two hypotheses. In what appears to be an unpublisheddraft article, he states that Edward1 Spragg married Mary-, and had children Sarah, Jacob, Joseph, Hannah, andEdward.  However, in a later revision of the samearticle he states that there were three Spragg generationsduring the seventeenth century, pointing out that theSpragg-Carmen deed of 1692, which refers to a moiety, orhalf interest, may indicate that Edward1 divided hisproperty between two sons.  He concludes thatEdward'1had three sons, Edward, William, and John, thatWilliam predeceased his father, and that before Edward1died he conveyed his property in equal shares to his sonsEdward and John. In addition Combes opines that HannahSpragg was the wife of William and that Joseph Spragg wasthe son of either William or John.  Wardwell's interpretation differs. He surmises thatEdward1 Spragg had only two sons, Edward and William.Eardeley makes no mention of the immigrant except to statethat the two early Edwards were father and son.     Combes, Wardwell, and Eardeleywould all seem to be correct in concluding that EdwardSpragg had a son Edward who had a wife named Mary. Theone-half inherited interest in property involved in theSpragg- Carmen deed of 1692 is an indication that theEdward named in that deed was of the second generation.Other circumstances also suggest that connection. Althoughboth Edwards engaged in cattle herding and both would havebeen alive in 1673, the list of inhabitants of Hempstead ofthat year shows a single entry under the Dutch variant ofthe name, "Edward Spry. Since it is likely that the list isfor heads of families only, one may logically conclude thatthe two Edwards were residing together at that time. Theevidence, taken as a whole, thus creates a reasonableinference that they were father and son.     The William Spragg proposed byboth Combes and Wardwell as the son of Edward1 Spraggpresents a particularly interesting problem. It is notknown for certain what sources Combes and Wardwell used,but both of them apparently included the printed townrecords in their analyses. These records are based on theoriginal Hempstead town records. The originals were kept bythe town of North Hempstead in 1784, when the Hempstead ofthat time was divided into North Hempstead and SouthHempstead (later renamed Hempstead). The town of NorthHempstead published the Hempstead Town records in eightvolumes between 1896 and 1904, when the editor, Benjamin D.Hicks, noted that the earliest records were in poorcondition and hard to read. The name William Spragg appearsonly once, in the eighth volume of the printed records.     A review of the original Hempsteadtown records shows that in its present condition therelevant entry can be read either as "Wm. Spragg" or"Mr.Spragg.  It happens that the patentees' names hadbeen transcribed from the originals at least three timesbefore the town records were published. Transcriptions madeon 2 January 1755 and on 14 July 1774, both interpret theentry as "Mr. Spragg.   A printed account of alawsuit, including all related documents, concerning theboundary between North and South Hempstead interprets theentry in the original records as either "Mr." or  Wm."The complaint, evidently prepared before the underlyingtrial took place in 1808, states that an "Edward Spragg,"who owned 32 acres, and a "Wm. Spragg," who owned 280acres, had contributed money for the patent in 1658.However, the account also mentions a subsequent proceedingon 17 October 1816, during which the names of the patenteeswere read into the record. Appearing in that list are"Edward Sprag," 92 acres, and "Mr. Sprag," 288 acres.     It is strange that William, if hein fact existed and was Edward' Spragg's son, would haveheld more land than his father owned and yet be mentionedonly once in the original town records. Onderdonk, inQueens County in Olden Times, mentions that in 1685 a280-acre tract, Boscobel, on the south side of the plains,was laid out for John Spragg, the Colonial Secretary.Secretary John Spragg was styled "Mr. Spragg" because ofhis position and gentry status. Neither Combes nor Wardwellbelieved that the Secretary was a member of Edward'Spragg's family, but it is the present writer's conclusionthat they both probably relied on the printed town records,the transcriber of which misread the abbreviation "Mr." as"Wm.," and that the reference in the original town recordsis to the Colonial Secretary, John Spragg, and not to aWilliam Spragg. Confirmation is found in the fact that thesupposed "Wm. Spragg" owned the exact number of acrescontained in Boscobel, the tract granted to Mr. fjohn]Spragg.     A different John Spragg evidentlydid belong in the Edward1 Spragg family. However, it is noteasy to determine which of the following alternativehypotheses is correct: Combes' hypothesis that Edward1Spragg had a son John2 Spragg, or Wardwell's hypothesisthat Edward2 Spragg had a son John3 Sprag-. The "JohnSpreag" who gave 10s. in 1682 toward payment for JeremyHubard's ministry would have been at least 20 years old andprobably rnarried at the time. It is likely that he was infact older because on 6 March 1687/8 he and thirty-oneother men agreed to allow property to be given to ThomasBarker, an act which indicates that he was at that time nota youth, but an adult of some years. There is evidence thatJohn Spragg's son Edward was born about 1665 (as furtherdiscussed below); thus, assuming that John was at least 20at the birth of this child, he would have been born before1645.     To determine who was this JohnSpragg's father, it is helpful to review records of thedivisions of Hempstead lands. These records were created asa result of a vote at a Hempstead town meeting in 1723, bywhich, to aid the distribution of vacant land, it wasdecided to trace the various grants and divisions of landfrom the town's inception to the date of the vote. Thescheme was to identify grants made to the originalproprietors and their associates, and, if they had notreceived their proper share, to give them additional land.After the initial division, the remainder was to be dividedamong the general population. Six men were chosen toundertake the research, three of whom died during thenearly two decades taken to complete the task.Unfortunately, the results were not viewed with favor bymany in town, as the recommendation in some instances wasto reassign lands, taking away property held by somefamilies for a century or more. Thus, the completed reportshould be used with caution at least as to the location ofproperty, although its actual division would seem to beaccurate.     Based on these records, it appearsthat an Edward Spragg, presumably Edward1, received atleast two patents, one for 22 1/2. acres and the other for7 1/2 acres, both located on the west side of Hicks Neckpath. By 1741 the 22 1/2-acre patent had been divided intotwo 11 1/4-acre plots, one owned by an Edward Spragg andthe other by Mordica Lester. The other 7 1/2-acre patentwas owned by an Edward Spragg, presumably John's sonEdward. While these records do not offer direct evidence,they nevertheless supply a general framework in which tofit the other pieces of the puzzle.     The equal division of the 221/2-acre patent confirms that Edward1 Spragg's lands weredivided between two children, presumably Edward2 andanother. Further, it would appear that one of the dividedplots remained in the family at least until 1741, while theother plot was transferred to Mordica Lester, eitherthrough marriage or purchase. Since it is likely thatWilliam did not exist, and, considering that John wasprobably born in or before 1645, it appears that John wasthat other, apparently younger, son of Edward1, possiblyfrom a second marriage.     In attempting to reconstruct theseearliest generations, it is important to look to theobvious and to resist the impulse to be creative. The plaininterpretation of the data would indicate that Edward1Spragg had at least two sons, Edward and John, neither ofwhom appear in the 1698 census, because they had probablydied before that date.     EDWARD SPRAGG was born about 1616,presumably in England. His birth date is based on hissigned deposition, dated 12 July 1677, in which he statesthat he is about 61 years old. Edward died most likely inthe town of Hempstead, New York. His date of death is givenas 10 March 1687 by Amy Sprague Vader in her manuscript onthe Sprague family of Prince Edward County, Ontario.However, since the manuscript does not give a source, thedate must be regarded as unproven. No probate records arefound, but it is possible that Edward died as early as 1681when his son Edward2 began to sell various real propertiesin Hempstead which he may have inherited. Edward1 surelyhad died by 1698, as he is not accounted for in the censusof that year.     Edward probably married before1637, the estimated birth date of his first son. No recordof a wife for him has survived at Hempstead, but JohnWinthrop Jr. at Hartford, Connecticut, entered in hismedical journal on 27 March 1661 prescriptions for severalpersons at Hempstead, Long Island, including one for"Sprage Edward his wife at Hempsted."
    "Annals of Staten Island, From its Discovery to the PresentTime", by J. J. Clute, page 496.                                           SPRAGUE     The tradition in the family isthat there were three brothres, Joseph, Edward and John,emigrated simultaneously from England, but the date of thatevent is lost; it must have been early, however, as we readof Jacob Spragg, who must have been a son of Joseph, asearly as 1729. Of these brothers, Joseph took up his abodeon Staten Island; of the other two, one settled on LongIsland, and one on Rhode Island.  william, whose namewe find in the county records in 1767, and Joseph in 1772,were undoubtedly grandson of the original Joseph. Theoriginal Joseph had three sons--Jacob, John andEdward--notwithstanding, the family has not increased veryrapidly, and at present number but a few families, mostlyconfined to the town of Westfield.  The only noticesof the name in the old record of St. Andrew's Church arethe following:     Andrew and Catharine Pryor marriedJune 28, 1800.     Jacob and Margaret Wood marriedJuly 12, 1800.
    From Robert Irwin Spragg, Sr., on Websitehttp://home.att.net/~rspragg/edward.html                          THE SPRAGG FAMILY IN AMERICA     It is the tradition in the SPRAGG(Sprague/Spragge/Sragg & etc) family of America that therewere three brothers, Joseph, Edward and John Spragg whoemigrated simultaneously from England. The date of thisevent is lost, but it would have been very early, about1640.     1: John Spragg settled in RhodeIsland and it is believed that he used the Spraguespelling. (nothing more on him).     2: Joseph Spragg took up his homein Staten Island, NY , in the city of what became Richmond,NJ. He used the Sprague spelling. The name William Sprague,in 1667 and Joseph Sprague in 1772, are found in the earlyStaten Island county records. The are undoubtedly thegrandsons of the original Joseph Spragg/Sprague who hadthree sons, Jacob, John and Edward. (nothing more on him).     3: Edward (1) Spragg settled onLong Island, in what became the town of Hempstead, NY.
                    It is thisEdward (1) Spragg who is the start of the Spragg family inAmerica.FROM THE UNPUBLISHED MANUSCRIPT BY: George D. A. Comoes onthe early town of Hempstead, L.I., NY, "THE FIRST 100SETTLERS OF HEMPSTEAD".
         Edward (1) Spragg, the first ofthe SPRAGG line in this area, first appears on theHempstead records in 1654 as holding 6 acres of estate. Hewas at this time married and father of several children. Hehad a son Edward (2) and it is difficult or impossible toseparate the records from the father and the son after theson becomes of age, say about 1664 or 1665. The father wasfor many years in charge of the herds pastured on thecommon lands. An agreement was made by Edward (1) Spraggand one William Johnson on Apr 16 1657 for Edward (1)Spragg to" Perform the place of cow keeper". Edward (1)Spragg was granted 1 1/2 acres of land upon the littleplains and on Dec 30 1665 he received 22 acres of land onthe north side "near ye bevill". Also he received 6 acresof meadowland on Jun 24,1669. Whether these grants were tothe father or the son, or to both is not known.     On Jul 12,1677 we have thetestimony of Edward (1) Spragg, age about 61 years (Bornabout 1616) . He testifies that the Indians received theirfinal pay for Hempstead in 1656. " It being the lastpayment for the town bounds. This was paid in kettles(pots)and trading cloth and wampom and led (lead) and Ithink sum hatchets and hoes". This testimony was signed byEdward (1) Spragg, (With the spelling Spragg), but otherpapers were signed with his "MARK".     The first time the senior andjunior are used in connection with the father and the son,is in 1694 when Edward Spragg Sr. deeded his rights to "6gates of fenc" on Cow's Neck to a Thomas Harker. This mightbe Edward (2) Spragg who by this time was the father ofEdward (3) Spragg who was over twenty-one years old, soEdward (2) could therefore properly call himself senior.There is no record that gives the approximate death datefor Edward (1) Spragg. Perhaps his last act of record waswhen on Mar 10,1687 , he conveyed 30acres of woodlands onthe north side of the plains to a Benjamin Seaman.Note:Cow's/Coe's/Cou's neck is called Manhasset, L.I.,Nytoday.     On Nov 4,1692 Edward (2) Spraggand his wife Mary, both signed with a "mark", (note thatthe above Edward (1) signed with his name). They conveyedunto Benjamin Carman a meadow on Coe's Neck the "equellhalfe part of a lot containing six acres". (note that laterThomas Spragg married a Mary Carman in Hempstead). This webelieve was Edward (2) Spragg and the fact that the landsold was a 1/2 part may indicate that the property ofEdward (1) Spragg was divided among two children and as theson William was perhaps deceased before his father, the twowould be Edward (2) and John.     (note: A John Spragg was a"Secretary to the Colony" about 1683. Don't know if this isthe same John or not. This John Spragg returned toEngland).     There is no record of the deathsof any of the Edward Spragg's, but if the arrangement ofthe early family is correct (and due to the lack ofdefinite facts, it is only an arrangement). It would seemthat both Edward (1) and Edward (2) were deceased prior tothe taking of the 1698 census of Hempstead, NY. On thiscensus is found the family of Edward (3) Spragg with hiswife Abigail and three children: Sarah, Jacob, and Edward(4). Also found on this census is Mary Spragg (widow ofEdward (2) with three children: John, Thomas and Richard.(the younger children)               End of the Comoes manuscript

         From the Finney Sprague notes
    "It is probable that there were only three differentEdwards Spragg's in the early years. The Edward (1) wasdead before May 2 1702 and he had a son Edward (2) whomarried before Nov 4 1692 to a Mary and had a son Edward(3)".     Note: Think she was right, but itwas Edward (1) who was married to Mary.
    From Paula Rigano-Murray, correspondent, note of April 4th,2004.     A Spragg reference I found was ina book called Colonial Hempstead which said that EdwardSpragg was one of a group of Colonists to meet with 8Indians to eatablish the town in 1657.
    From Philip Sonnichsen, correspondent, note of November12th, 2004     The name Spragg first occurs inthe Hempstead town records in 1657 when Edward Spragg waslisted as a cattle keeper and holding six acres.. John Russell Sprague III, JD, has written a solidlydocumented monograph,  "Early Spraggs of Hempstead,Long Island" which appeared in The Genealogist in theSpring of 1998.  Although the Spraggs were not amongthe first sixty landowners in 1647, he tells us that "it seems likely that Edward came with his wife and familyto the Hempstead area not long before 1657, either fromConnecticut or directly from England."  The first lineremains speculative.  W.V. Sprague who published thefirst article on the early Spraggs ca. 1915, postulatedthat there were three brothers,  Joseph who went toStaten Island, John who went to Rhode Island and Edward toHempstead.   There were also Spraggs in NewJersey.  At this writing (2003) we have been unable totrace the ancestry of Elizabeth Spragg (1740-1816) whomarried Flower Hults in 1767.  One possibility is thatSpragg was not her birth name but rather her surname from aprevious marriage.  This remains to beproven.   The ancestry of Abigail Spragg, whomarried Thomas Gritman in 1731, can be more clearlyestablished back to our immigrant ancestor, Edward Spragg(b. ca 1616).  The Gritman line (Mary, b. 1767) which married into the Hulse line (Samuel, b. 1767)descends from the immigrant William Gritman (b. 1670) andthe earliest ancestor we can find in the Akerly line isJames (b. 1770) whose daughter Sarah (b. 1791) married thesecond Samuel Hults (b. 1790) in 1819.     Edward gave testimony that in 1656, the Indians had received their "last payment forthe town bounds...

    Edward married Wife [--?--] before 1637. Wife and died. [Family Group Sheet]

    Children:
    1. Edward Spragg was born in 1637 in Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY, USA; died between 1692 and 1698 in Hempstead, Nassau Co., NY, USA.
    2. John Spragg was born about 1640; died between 1692 and 1698.

Generation: 2




    Copyright © 2020; by Richard E. (Dick) Weber / The Sprague Project. Send e-mail to Developer
    The major part of this website is powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding © (TNG), Darrin Lythgoe.